Tuesday, October 6, 2015

#WeirdEd Week 77- Scary Movies

My favorite season is Halloween season, which means all October #WeirdEd will be centered around all things creepy, ghouly, freaky, and ghostly. Good thing there isn't anything else going on in the education space this month to be compared again.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of scary movies. I don't think fear is all that great of an emotion, and I get stressed out watching stressful films. I appreciate that movies can do that, but I'm not rushing out to watch the newest scarefest. I also admit that my favorite movie (JAWS) could easily be called a horror movie. To that I say- It's brilliant, and rules are meant to be eaten by a giant shark.

But just because I don't go out of my way to watch scary movies doesn't mean I don't know anything about them. Everyone knows Freddy and Jason and Mike Meyers and the Scream mask and evil clowns* and Chucky* and The Thing and Pinhead and the xenomorph**. Somehow the basics of those stories have seeped into our collective consciousness. You know the rules ('don't have sex' being right at the top of most lists) and you know some of the kills.

We're going to dive into these various mythologies and drag them kicking and screaming back into our classrooms Freddy is the emobiment of nightmares and Jason can't be killed, you think I can't make them about school? (No, I'm not going to be lazy and make them all about Pearson. That would be too easy.)

Never seen these movies? That's great, because I haven't seen most of them either! Love some of these movies? Be prepared to be a little annoyed when I screw up a basic fact about your favorite psycho killer.

I hearby swear that not once during the chat will you be asked to define anything. That would be if I were writing my own twitter-based horror film.

* KILLER CLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE and CHILD'S PLAY screwed me up as a kid. I vividly rememeber watching KCFOS with a babysitter and being utterly freaked out. Terrifying clowns wrapping people up in cotton candy. You can have Pennywise, those clowns are my nightmare. And Chucky, I had a My Buddy doll and that freaking think looked exactly like Chucky. When's the last time a movie ruined a toy for you?

**ALIEN is 100% a haunted house horror movie

No comments:

Post a Comment