Monday, January 16, 2017

Vote With Your Wallet On 1/20

image by Sarah Windisch

Inauguration day is not going to be a happy day. I mean, sure it'll be fun to laugh at how Komrade Trump couldn't even get a cover band to play and how he had to pay seat fillers. But at some point during the day he will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States and just typing that makes me want to throw up.

It's terrible. Just that it's happening sets every single civil rights battle we've ever fought back. It's a slap in the face of millions. Sure, some people voted for him, and those people are ok with racism, sexism, bigotry, hate, fear, and a complete and utter dedication to ignorance. "Doug, you're painting with a broad brush." Well, when you're on the same side as the KKK, Nazis, and Putin you're on the wrong side. Face it.

What can we do? What can I do?

I have three books. They're independently published, which means I control everything about them. Maybe there's something I can do.

I decided to make Jan 20th, 2017 as good a day as I can. I have a stack of He's the Weird Teacher, THE Teaching Text (You're Welcome), and The Unforgiving Road sitting in my office. I get them from my printer at a pretty good price and I keep them around to sell autographed copies and take to conferences and whatnot. On Friday the 20th, the profit from every book I sell from my stash* will go to Planned Parenthood and the ACLU. I'm going to split the profits right down the middle and donate half to one, half to the other.

So if you don't have one of my books, or you want to give one as a gift, send me an email to theweirdteacher@gmail.com with your order on 1/20/17. I'll figure in shipping and send you a total price. You send that payment to a PayPal account I give you in the email. I send you books, and send your money (minus the cost of the book to me) to PP or the ACLU.

I can't do much. But I can do something. So can you. Don't stand by and watch the worst of us pretend they're what America and humanity is about.



*This only extends to books ordered directly from me. It does not include books purchased through amazon or iTunes or other online retailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment