Tuesday, February 9, 2016

#WeirdEd Week 94- Seven Deadly Sins


I have no idea how we've never done an edchat about one of my favorite topics- Sin. But, this being #WeirdEd, we can't just talk about any old sins. That's too lightweight. Here at #WeirdEd we go straight for the Deadly Seven Sins, or the D7s as those of us in the sinnin' biz like to call them.

I know you, reader. And I know that for just a moment you hesitated when you saw this topic. The Seven Deadly Sins? About education? Are we even allowed to talk about sin when we talk about teaching? Why, talking about sin and teaching even sounds like it's its own sin! We've discovered an eighth sin! It's not Deadly though. At worst the sin of connecting teaching and sin is a Severe Injury Sin (SIS). It's probably more of a Finger Wag Sin (FWS). Still though, look at all of you, sinning for your professional development.*

The idea for the chat is very simple. Sinfully simple. I'll post a sin, you connect it to education. I'm going to give you very little guidance past that. I trust you, you're smart humans. If I can give my students an assignment that amounts to, "Demonstrate you understand how the sun works somehow. Ready, go!" then I can give you seven one-word prompts and you can jump off from there. I'm even reluctant, like we often are in our classrooms, to give you example answers here. You know, how you're modeling a writing assignment and in your example you mention that there's an elephant named Geoff and suddenly you've got seventeen anthropomorphic animal stories? I don't normally jump into our chat for just that reason- I wrote it, and I wrote it specifically so there are no right answers, but by giving an answer I influence what you think is the right answer. But this one will be fun. What might you come up with for Lust? How honest will people be about Sloth?

Like always, I encourage you to reach past the east answers. Anger will be really easy if you let it. #WeirdEd isn't about that. You've got the time and the people to dig in. Greed can go a dozen different ways. Don't always trust your first instinct. Let it roll and grow. Build off other answers. What can we learn about our own teaching and predilections when we frame it in the context of sin?

No comments:

Post a Comment