Wednesday, August 5, 2015

#WeirdEd Week 68- Pre-Judgments with Rusul Alrubail


Blog written by guest moderator @RusulAlrubail

Some of you might know my story, if you’ve been following my writing and my tweets. I don’t often talk about my background, and when I started to, it was after I joined #Educolor. This was because I felt that there was a group of people who stood behind me and supported me if I shared a sensitive topic on race, ethnicity and culture, especially my background and things that touch the heart.

My family and I came to Canada from Iraq after the gulf war. Growing up in Canada as an immigrant child for a few years and learning to speak English was one of life’s tough curveballs that were thrown at me. Most of my teachers were great, kind and supportive, but I did have the occasional teacher that was clueless as to how she could help me in terms of language as well as social and interpersonal interactions. However, dealing with kids my age when you do not speak their language was a very difficult experience that I don’t wish it on any student.

I am writing this today because prejudice, discrimination and bigotry still exist. It might not impact me in the same way that it did when I was a kid, or an adolescent but still impacts me nonetheless. I am writing this today, because prejudice, bigotry and racism still impacts millions of people around the world. But why start so big? It still impacts your students, and that’s why you should care! Let’s change that little by little through small conversations, an open mind, and a big heart.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Doug for opening up your house to have this conversation. It's an important discussion and I hope everyone learns something tonight.

    ReplyDelete